District and School Consulting & Support
The Learning Technology Center provides free IT consulting and technical assistance to district leadership and technology teams.
The Learning Technology Center has knowledgeable and experienced experts who provide technology consulting and support to districts and schools. All support is provided for free through the support of the Illinois State Board of Education.
The LTC provides free district technology assessments to Illinois public school districts through funding from the Illinois State Board of Education.
Our assessment includes:
- Initial In-Person or Virtual Discover Call. We schedule a consultation via Zoom to find out more about your specific needs, both immediate and long-term. We will also discuss our assessment process and establish a timeframe for your upgrade project.
- On-Site Discovery Visit. Next, we schedule an on-site visit so that our team can get hands-on while evaluating your network infrastructure. Depending on your district size, this could consist of one or more visits, with follow-up emails to solidify your network’s present condition and operation standards.
- Assessment Document with Curated Recommendations. After evaluating your district’s infrastructure and stated needs, we will provide a customized upgrade plan, including an assessment of your technology’s current structure, recommendations for improvements that align with current best practices, and a project guide to help kick-start your short- and long-term upgrade efforts.
- Follow-up Communications and/or Visits. We always follow up with you to ensure you have all the support and resources to upgrade your network. We can even return to your district for further evaluation and guidance at your request.
Note: Assessments are scheduled on a first-come, first-serve basis, and we typically schedule 2-4 per month.We prioritize audit requests based on district needs due to staff size.
The LTC provides guidance or assist in technology planning, including:
- Providing guidance or assist in the development of school and technology plans.
- Planning technical infrastructure analysis and improvement.
- Planning hardware and software purchases.
- Identifying funding sources and assist with grant applications.
- Assisting in obtaining and reviewing quotes for technology solutions.
- Identifying emerging technology solutions.
- Evaluating technology staffing needs.
The LTC provides guidance on device management and deployment, including:
- Device management and deployment, including Chromebooks, IOS devices, and Windows devices.
- Configuration of G Suite for Education and Microsoft Intune.
The LTC is the lead agency on SOPPA implementation and consults on data privacy and student safety issues with school leaders. Contact us for resources, guidance, or support.
The LTC provides high-level cybersecurity consultations.
The LTC advise districts on technical processes, solutions, and management, including infrastructure, hardware, software, web services, data security, and statewide technology initiatives. In addition, we:
- Advise on firewalls, filtering, antivirus solutions, 1:1 initiatives, disaster recovery and business continuity best practices and solutions.
- Assist with implementing and evaluating tools for gathering, mining, integration, and reporting data.
Review and resolve design, accessibility, and compliance issues related to keeping websites and communications tools operational.
Eric provides a multitude of services to help Illinois public school districts improve their overall security posture and maturity, including through the implementation of standards, frameworks, and industry best practices.
Duane Shaffer is currently the Network and Information Technology Specialist for the LTC.