The Learning Technology Center (LTC) formed the Illinois Student Privacy Alliance (ISPA) in partnership with the Access 4 Learning Community’s Student Data Privacy Consortium (SDPC). SDPC is a national collaborative of schools, districts, and state agencies that are working together to address growing student data privacy concerns by developing real-world, adaptable, and implementable solutions. The goal of the ISPA is to set standards of both practice and expectations around student privacy such that all parties involved have a common understanding of expectations. The LTC’s creation of ISPA also means that all PK-12 districts in Illinois are now able to use the resources provided by the SPDC without additional cost to the district.
The free membership to ISPA includes:
- A statewide agreement that districts can use to ensure that the vendor is aware of and complies with Illinois’ student data privacy laws;
- A searchable database of applications and vendors who have signed the statewide agreement with at least one school or district;
- Full access to a clearinghouse of research and privacy effective practices; use cases and technical assistance guides; audit processes, checklists, and tools support;
- Data governance and management modeling, and communities of practice between and among consortium members; and
- Access to a community of schools, districts, states and marketplace providers dealing with the same issues you are.
More information on ISPA and SDPC is available at https://sdpc.a4l.org/view_alliance.php?state=IL. To join, visit https://sdpc.a4l.org/add_district_account.php?state=IL. Questions can be directed to Chris Wherley at email@example.com.